Need a Doctor?
The West Northumberland Physician Recruitment Committee is striving to support those residents of West Northumberland who are looking for a family doctor.
About Health Care Connect
The Ministry of Health established “Health Care Connect” which is a program that helps Ontarians find a family doctor in their community. The program identifies doctors who are accepting patients and links them with residents who are in need of a family doctor.
How to join Health Care Connect if you currently do not have a family doctor
- Register with Health Care Connect by calling 1-800-445-1822 or register online.
- You will need your health card number and will be asked a short series of health related questions. Once you have joined Health Care Connect, a nurse called a Care Connector will be assigned to you and will assist you.
How to join Health Care Connect if you currently have a family doctor out of town and would like one in our community
Health Care Connect will only enrol you to the program if you are no longer rostered to your family physician but this does not necessarily mean that you cannot still be under the care of your family physician. (I know that this is confusing but keep reading).
- Please contact your doctor’s office and ask to be de-rostered. Explain to your doctor’s office that you are enrolling with Health Care Connect and that they require you to be de-rostered. Ask to continue to be a patient of the doctor until a local doctor can be found for you.
- Contact Service Canada at 1-866-532-3161 (press 1,5,0). State that you wish to unregister from your current doctor.
- Next contact Health Care Connect and register by calling 1-800-445-1822 or register online.
- You will still have a family doctor while you are waiting for a new doctor locally.
What you need to know about Health Care Connect
- Priority is given to individuals with greater health needs.
- Health Care Connect assists you in your search for a family doctor but it cannot guarantee you that one will be found so please continue to search for a doctor on your own if you wish.
- Once you have joined Health Care Connect, a nurse called a Care Connector will be assigned to help you find a family doctor. Be sure to get in touch with your Care Connector if your contact information or your health changes.
If you require further assistance with this process then please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.